Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Intelligence Men (1965) *


Director: Robert Asher
Screenplay: Dick Hills & Sid Green
Cast: Eric Morecambe, Ernie Wise, William Franklyn, Francis Matthews, April Olrich, Gloria Paul, Richard Vernon, David Lodge, Terence Alexander, Warren Mitchell, Tutte Lemkov

First of three big-screen outings for Eric and Ernie, all generally accounted as failures, though audiences liked them well enough at the time, and eyes both fresh and sympathetic may well find them far from the dead end of official estimation.
This is pre-packaged comedy, for sure, making few more demands of the talent than it does of the audience, but it's still often very amusing for all that, with a lively climax, a number of effective if well-spaced highlights, two ideal stooges in Franklyn and Matthews, and consistently entertaining work from the leads.
Also a key film for we small but devoted band of Tutte Lemkov addicts.


1 comment:

Mykal said...

I love this blog. I have often thought of similar as a kind of antidote to my usual long winded reviews. I think of this blog as movie review Haiku, and I enjoy it for the same reasons I love Haiku - I admire a writer that can say it completely yet quickly. That's always a challenge.

Well done, Matthew. But please - Movietone has become the forgotten mistress.